SPONSORED BY AN UNRESTRICTED EDUCATIONAL GRANT FROM THE SUS FOUNDATION
Society of University Surgeons Foundation promotes academic surgery through the support of surgical science and education. The foundation is dedicated to developing the next generation of leaders and elevating the opportunity in surgery for those seeking to advance the field. As such we announce the establishment of the SUSF Stepstone Fellowship Award.
The SUSF Stepstone Fellowship fosters career development of SUS members in the first five years of membership. Two annual fellowships in the amount of $5,000 will provide two qualified recipients the opportunity to travel to an institution for a period of one week for in depth experience in surgical science and/or leadership with local and national leaders. The intent of the fellowship is to stimulate the Stepstone fellow’s early career success through exposure to governance, processes, infrastructure, institutional culture, and scholarship outside their current position; a steppingstone to expanded surgical and scientific excellence.
- Must be an SUS member in the first five years of membership
- Ability to travel to another institution for a period of one week
- Confirmation from fellow’s institution for ability to travel and additional financial support
- Ability to accept award at SUS annual awards session at ASC meeting
August: Applications open (applications are now closed)
- Completion of on-line application, including a cover letter
- Provide the name of the visiting faculty sponsor and your plans for the fellowship
- A letter of support from the Mentor
- 3 letters of recommendation including one from department chair and two members of the SUS (more than five years of membership)
- One-page personal statement outlining the candidate’s qualifications, plans for the fellowship, and ways this experience will contribute to their career goal
- CV, biosketch and digital photo
- Once funded, the award needs to be used within six months or should be returned
- Submission of report on the fellowship within one year of completion
September: Application process closes October 16th, 2023.
December: Applicants notified.
February: Awarded fellows announced at SUS awards session at ASC meeting
Within 6 months of completing fellowship: Fellowship recipients submit report on their experiences