SUS Membership Guidelines:
Membership into the Society of University Surgeons is given to persons of well established professional position and demonstrated scholarly or creative ability that positively impacts their field. Applicants must be 50 years of age or younger at the time of induction into the Society.
Successful applicants are expected to meet at least three of the four criteria in the categories listed below:
- Publications : Minimum of 15 peer-reviewed publications, with a minimum of 10 first or senior-authored publications during faculty appointment (will consider a lower minimum number if published in high impact factor journals). Applicant must provide the year of their first faculty position.
- Grant Funding: Extramural funding of at least $50,000 per year or total funding at least $100,000 per year, with evidence of research independence.
- Education/Administrative (at least 1 of the following):
4. Evidence of active participation in the Academic Surgical Congress over the last 5 years.
- Departmental (or higher) teaching award
- Director of resident/medical student training program
- Member of national committee focused on education
- Evidence of a major leadership position at an institution or at a national level, such as: division chief or higher administrative position, member of 2 or more national committees, or director of a major, independent functional unit (i.e. SICU)
The SUS Membership Application System to currently under going reconstruction. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience. Please contact the Membership Department if you have questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 986-6442, ext 138.